Frequently Asked Questions
AAU English Placement Test
- In accordance with the Ministry of Education requirements, students who apply for admission to undergraduate programs delivered in Arabic are required to submit an evidence of satisfactory English language proficiency score (450 in TOEFL iTP, or Band 4.5 in IELTS).
- If students have no TOEFL or IELTS satisfactory scores, they are asked to sit for the AAU English Placement Test to determine their English Language proficiency level.
- Based on their results on the Placement Test, students are placed in the following course:
- Intensive Remedial English (IRE)
- Students who obtain a score of 90 or above are exempted from taking the Intensive Remedial English course at the ELC and are allowed to register for University General Requirements.
The IELTS Test
Al Ain University is now an authorized IELTS Test Venue in partnership with the British Council.
IELTS is the world’s most popular English language proficiency test with two million tests taken in the last year. Taking IELTS opens doors – it can help you live, study and work in 135 countries around the world. More than 9,000 organisations worldwide accept IELTS, including government, academic and employment institutions- including over 3,000 institutions in the USA. In fact, IELTS is the only English language test accepted for immigration purposes by all countries that require one. IELTS is designed to assess the language ability of candidates who want to work or study in countries where English is the language of communication.
IELTS has four modules – Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking.
The total test time is 2 hours and 45 minutes. The Listening, Reading and Writing tests are done in one sitting. The Speaking test may be on the same day or up to seven days before or after the other tests. You will be advised of the time for your speaking interview when you apply.
|Listening||40 questions||Approximately 30 minutes|
|Reading||40 questions||60 minutes|
|Writing||2 tasks||60 minutes|
|Speaking||3 parts||11–14 minutes|
For registration, please visit https://ieltsregistration.britishcouncil.org/
Paper test: AED 1130 (Result: 13 days)
Computer Delivered: AED 1260 (Result: 5-7 days)
On the day of the test, students must present their original, valid and signed passport; or UAE National ID for identification purposes only.
Please note that you will not be allowed to enter the exam hall without the original ID that you used during your registration.
Road to IELTS is a popular online self-study resource for Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking test practice. Written by the British Council for its IELTS students, Road to IELTS includes:
- practice materials
- timed tests
- online scoring
- self-assessment tools so that you can measure your progress.
You can try British Council’s Road to IELTS resources with 10 hours of free study right now with no prior registration.
When you register for an IELTS test with British Council you’ll be free to enjoy a further 20 hours of access to the learning materials.
You can also visit http://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/prepare-test/how-prepare-ielts-test to access to more British Council IELTS preparation materials.
Students can order for additional original copies (up to maximum of five) of test report forms to be posted to receiving institutions. If you would like us to do this, please apply through one of our British Council customer services points. They send them free of charge if applied within the 4(four) weeks from the result publishing date. However, for secure and faster delivery, additional courier charges may apply.
TOEFL ITP Test
The purpose of the TOEFL ITP is to evaluate the English proficiency of people whose native language is not English. AAU administers the test to students who are enrolled at Al Ain University and outside.
The ITP TOEFL test is given in a single session of about two and a half hours which includes the time required for test directions. The ITP test consists of three sections:
- Listening Comprehension which measures the ability to understand spoken English;
- Structure and Written Expression which measures the ability to recognize standard written English;
- Reading Comprehension which measures the ability to read and understand nontechnical material.
|TOTAL TIME 115 min. (approximately)|
|Section 1||30-40 minutes|
|Section 2||25 minutes|
|Section 3||55 minutes|
For sample questions, visit: http://www.ets.org/toefl_itp/sample_questions/
- TOEFL registration can only be made at the Registration Office in Building A.
- The test application form should be filled in properly with all the student’s contact details. The applicant’s name should be spelled exactly as it appears on the identification that you will bring on the test day. Unclear applications will be rejected by the ELC, and then the student has to obtain another test date from the Registration Office.
- Applicants should bring their application form and paid receipt along with an AAU ID card, for AAU students, or any government-issued identification; a passport, a National ID, or a driver’s license are all acceptable (it must contain a recent photo and signature).
- Students should arrive 30 minutes ahead of time for the test. The admission to the test hall will cease 10 minutes before the actual test time. Candidates are not permitted to enter the test hall after the doors are closed. There are no scheduled breaks during the TOEFL‐ITP exam. Breaks are not allowed for any reason (e.g. fetching water, visits to the washroom etc.)
- If a student is not able to attend the test for any reason, then the fees are refundable within a two-month period, or another test date can be obtained. In case the student does not attend the second assigned test, then the student is not eligible for the test and the original application will be cancelled by the ELC.
- If an examinee is found cheating or commits any other misconduct, his/her exam will be cancelled immediately, without warning.
- The TOEFL‐ITP results are published within one week after the day of test. The results are posted on the ELC announcement board at English Language Center. The results are also provided over the phone to the candidates.
- TOEFL‐ITP score reports are valid for 2 years. Expired scores are not accepted for AAU admissions.
For registration, please visit the English Language Center or Call 037024933