Awareness of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) is a new strain of coronavirus which may cause illness in animals or humans. In humans, several coronaviruses are known to cause respiratory infections ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases. First identified in a cluster with pneumonia symptoms in Wuhan city, China.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ)
- Dry cough
- Some patients may have aches and pains, nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat or diarrhoea. These symptoms are usually mild and begin gradually.
Note: Not everyone with a cold or upper respiratory symptom needs to get tested for COVID-19. Only a person with a symptoms and travel history can do the test. Additionally, most people (about 80%) recover from the disease without needing special treatment.
- Novel Coronavirus strains are spread from person to person through contaminated droplets from a person who is sick with the illness (through coughing or sneezing) or contaminated hands.
- The virus can spread through touching an infected surface.
- People can also catch COVID-19 if they breathe in droplets from a person with COVID-19 who coughs out or exhales droplets.
This is why it is important to stay more than 1 meter (3 feet) away from a person who is sick.
- Washing hands with soap and water or using alcohol-based hand rub kills viruses that may be on your hands.
- Maintain at least 1 metre (3 feet) distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
- Covering mouth and nose with your bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze. Then dispose of the used tissue immediately.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth without washing your hands.
- Avoid shaking hands and just wave.
- Avoid nose-to-nose greeting, hugging or kissing others.
- Avoid contact with animals (live or dead).
- Take enough rest and take a large amount of fluids.
(All information are confirmed from the Ministry of Health and Prevention in the UAE)
Al Ain University procedures to stop spreading (COVID-19)